[coreboot] On the subject of collaboration

Alexandru Gagniuc mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 02:14:26 CET 2015

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:33:11 AM Marc Jones wrote:
> On Fri Feb 13 2015 at 5:13:04 PM Alexandru Gagniuc <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:05:28 AM Marc Jones wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Please update the wiki page with project ideas.
> > > http://www.coreboot.org/Project_Ideas
> >
> > That's the first unlocked page in the coreboot wiki I have seen for quite
> > some
> > time.
>
> This comment is off topic.  Please don't hijack the thread about GSOC. If
> you would like to discuss locked wiki pages please start another thread.

I respectfully disagree. I think collaboration is very relevant, _especially_
in the context of GSoC. And yet we have been moving away from this school of
thought.

It's that time of the year it seems. Last year, there were talks about
reducing the number of gerrit submitters. I'm certain you remember the anger
this caused amongst non-commercial members of the community when the proposed
list contained exclusively commercial community members, and I'm certain you
remember how that almost lead to a fork.

This year's theme goes on the same lines. Except that it's not as tactful as
last year. It's no longer "I'm planning to do this". It's "I've already done
this". Let's see. We've locked most wiki pages to a select few contributors. A
so-called code of conduct was unilaterally introduced. Let's look at each in
part.

When it comes to the locked wiki pages keep in mind that most contributors
make minor edits in response to real events. It has happened in the past that
people were confused by the wording. So someone comes in and clarifies it on
the spot, before they forget. Now those contributions get lost behind a non-
collaborative barrier.

Now the code of conduct... What constitutes any of the 'bad' behaviors
mentioned? What you really get is people refusing to express an idea or
opinion in fear of violating said ill-defined code, and in fear of
retaliation. It's called a chilling effect. Again, good ideas get lost behind
a non-collaborative barrier.

Do we really want to push people's nerves every year until we finally get a
fork?

Alex