[coreboot] Release Engineering (again)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Feb 11 01:55:39 CET 2015

Stefan Tauner wrote:
> WHY do we need releases at all?

Consumers are completely overwhelmed by dealing with repositories.

> From my perspective it does not make too much sense,

IMO it doesn't really, it's just psychological. Consumers use
releases to judge ongoing development and assume that releases
are significantly better than a given master. They also use it
as a reference.

I think it's learned from commercial software lifecycles.

> So, what advantages do you hope for?

Advantages come in the future when we know what promises we keep for
a given release. That allows consumers to set their expectations and
plan ahead to some degree, which matters a lot within the industry.

//Peter