[coreboot] New interface for I2C in coreboot

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Tue Feb 10 09:18:47 CET 2015

Am 10.02.2015 um 08:56 schrieb Alexandru Gagniuc:
> That's actually the way I2C is designed to work, and this sort of API models
> it more accurately. Linux uses it. libeopencm uses it. spidev uses it.
But hardware doesn't. The API is fine when you bitbang everything, but
not when there's a controller that takes over some of the work, like
programming the address.

On such a controller, you have to pick apart struct i2c_seg* to figure
out which elements are addresses and which are data, and split things
into different registers.

I really don't see how it's useful to keep the data structures as low
level as possible and then require drivers for more capable devices to
uplift them to a higher abstraction level.

Patrick