[coreboot] code of conduct (reloaded)

Alexandru Gagniuc mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 19:07:16 CET 2015

This comes in a new thread because my ML membership was somehow hosed
coreboot-side, so I have no mail to reply to.

I have until now ignored this code of conduct. There's been talk about how
people feel unwelcome in _other_ projects, about how _other_ projects (fill in
the blank). What there hasn't been any talk of, however, is any instance where
this has been a problem in _our_ community.

coreboot _is_ a hard thing. You _do_ need a _hard_skin_ to do coreboot. That's
just the nature of our work. That is not because of our attitude; hardware is
crap. People get annoyed at it. They bash it and vent out. It's normal.
There's absolutely no point in burdening our developers with a generic code of
of conduct.

I don't know how much time Marc actually spends on IRC, but we have been great
at policing ourselves. Pretending someone else's problem as our own is just
silly. The fact is, the problem Marc pointed out, and the problems he tries to
solve with this code of conduct are non-present in our community. I've seen
more helpful people jumping to aid than in any other project. I've seen more
good will and personal time invested to help others than in any other project.

I've only seen Peter give new guys the RTFW, RTFS, or STFW, and those have
been well deserved by the person receiving them. Are we going to start taking
action against some of our most experienced and valuable developers because
they didn't waste their personal time doing someone else's homework?

There's a phenomenon of "Oh, I saw this thing here, so let's implement it
irrespective of whether or not it's actually relevant". I call that liberal
bullshit. That's exactly what this is.

This code of conduct is an insult to our hard work over the years, and an
insult to our friendly nature and countless personal hours spent helping
others. When you've put up this code of conduct, you've basically said "our
community is not capable of bettering itself by peer action and common sense,
so we need to enforce it". It degrades every person who has ever contributed,
and degrades the community as a whole. It's a degrading document that has no
place.

Alex