[coreboot] Plans for upcoming Broadwell Thinkpads

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 7 22:37:10 CET 2015

On 07.02.2015 21:14, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> So the real question is: are there any AMD notebooks on the market
> with similar build quality to the old IBM Thinkpads?  I've about had
> enough of Intel and their monopolistic ways.

I saw AMD-based HP laptops (Probook/Elitebook) and they are nice (if you
don't mind a miniscule return key on the keyboard). The build quality is
comparable to newer Thinkpads (sharp edges included). The docking
options are a bit limited, though.

That said, I do _not_ know if HP is using anything similar to Boot Guard
on those laptops. Judging from photos of an opened Elitebook 745 G2,
there are two flash chips next to each other, so either it's some sort
of Dual BIOS solution or possibly other parity checks or an EC accessing
both flash chips. Before you spend 1000 USD on such a machine, it would
be wise to make sure you are not being stopped by any AMD/HP equivalent
of Boot Guard.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel