[coreboot] AMD Mahogany Fam10 not booting

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Wed Feb 4 18:01:18 CET 2015

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger [mailto:c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net] wrote:

]Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 06:04 PM
]To: coreboot at coreboot.org
]Subject: Re: [coreboot] AMD Mahogany Fam10 not booting
]
]On 02.02.2015 06:30, Kyösti Mälkki wrote:
]> On 02/02/2015 05:40 AM, Scott Duplichan wrote:
]>> I found coreboot for AMD Mahogany Fam10 is no longer working. The
]>> problem
]>> starts with this change:
]>> http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot-gerrit/2013-July/002391.html
]>>
]>> Some other older AMD boards are likely affected too. [...]
]>
]> Known issue, I am sorry you had to bisect this one too in the lack of
]> bug tracking. [...]
]
]Would the automated testsystem have caught this? If yes, which platforms
]should be present in this automated testsystem to have reasonably good
]coverage of systems still relevant to the community?

Hello Carl-Daniel,

An automated test system would catch this problem, though setting up
such a thing sounds like a lot of work. Also, RS780 boards are a couple
of generations old now and losing importance. Why did I try to boot an
old RS780 board after all these years? The reason is that I wanted to
see if the public version of AMD simnow could boot a coreboot project.
AMD simnow is the only publically available tool I know of that lets you
step through coreboot code starting from the reset vector to see how
it works. AMD simnow might still be able to boot AMD Serengeti Cheetah,
but that one uses a really old chipset. Unfortunately the public version
of simnow supports no processor newer than family 10h. The simnow
Mahogany family 10h model is compatible with the ECS board I have, so I
chose it. Interestingly, simnow does not catch the configuration space
problem that keeps the real board from booting. Another complication is
that the simnow RS780 model doesn't correctly handle the option to make
'BAR3' read only. This results in coreboot seeing a memory BAR that
wants 4GB of space, and that causes a boot fail.

Thanks,
Scott

]I hope to get the chance to allocate resources to run a bunch of
]platforms in my own automated testsystem. A list of maybe 5-10 desirable
]platforms/boards would be appreciated, preferably not just Thinkpads and
]Chromebooks. If this works out (should know about this by May/June),
]those boards would end up testing every mainline commit.
]
]Regards,
]Carl-Daniel