[coreboot] [RFC] Prepending *Original* to tags from other repositories

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 31 17:53:25 CET 2015

Dear coreboot folks,

change set #12804 [1] proposes the following addition to the file
`Documentation/gerrit_guidelines.md`.

239	+* When bringing in a patch from another git repo, update the original
240	+git/gerrit tags by prepending the lines with 'Original-'.  Marking
241	+the original text this way makes it much easier to tell what changes
242	+happened in which repository. This applies to these lines, not the actual
243	+commit message itself:
244	+        Commit-Id:
245	+        Change-Id:
246	+        Signed-off-by:
247	+        Reviewed-on:
248	+        Tested-by:
249	+        Reviewed-by:
250	+The script 'util/gitconfig/rebase.sh' can be used to help automate this.
251	+Other tags such as 'Commit-Queue' can simply be removed.

Unfortunately, I do not fully understand the reasoning yet. Why is it
important, to (easily) know what tags were added in what repository.

*Commit-Id* is good to know, to easily find the commit in the other
repository, but the *Change-Id* can be used for that too.

Signed-off-by is also not changed in the Linux kernel when it is pulled
in. The new Signed-off-by line is just appended after the tags so it’s
clear what way the commit or change set took.

The same is true for the other tags.

So I would actually propose, to leave the tags unchanged when moving
them over.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Paul