[coreboot] Getting started with coreboot and GSoC

Hatim Kanchwala hatim at hatimak.me
Mon Dec 21 19:45:52 CET 2015

Hello!

I am Hatim Kanchwala from India. I am a sophomore pursuing Bachelor's in
Electrical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Patna. I
came across coreboot through the Google Summer of Code page. I am
aspiring to work with coreboot for GSoC 2016.

To get an introduction to coreboot, to its history and its philosophy, I
read the wiki and also watched videos on YouTube, including the Google
Tech Talk by Ron Minnich, Stefan Reinauer and Peter Stuge. I have
downloaded coreboot, built the cross compiler and then built coreboot
for emulation with QEMU x86, with SeaBIOS as payload. I managed to do
this with the help of documentation from the wiki and a bit of searching
through the web and through the mailing list archives. I couldn't try
coreboot on my machine as my mainboard isn't supported (yet). Currently,
I am trying to build and test coreboot for emulation with QEMU ARM.
Unfortunately, I haven't had much progress there, but I will remain at it!

I have taken an introductory course in the C language at my University
and a basic Digital Circuits course. I have a fair experience with Linux
and git. Please tell me how I can get started to contribute to coreboot.
I am certain that the skills and knowledge required to contribute is way
more than I currently possess, but I am a keen learner.

Academically, I am interested in Embedded Systems and Computer
Architecture, in which I hope to pursue higher studies. I consider being
part of coreboot and contributing to it as an opportunity to learn more
about these fields and to learn about open-source development as well.
Also, I am looking forward to getting to know people and learning from them!

You can find me on IRC (Freenode) under the nick hatim. I am already a
member of the #coreboot channel.

Thank you for your time and help.

Hatim

--