[coreboot] Adding Coreboot support to the F2A85-M PRO mainboard

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Fri Aug 21 20:05:12 CET 2015

The Asus F2A85-M and F2A85-M LE boards are currently supported in
Coreboot. However, as the wiki[0] page emphasis, the F2A85-M PRO version
of the board is the more widely available one.

A few weeks ago, GNUtoo (CC-ed) and I decided to get one each and add
Coreboot support to those. It looks like the main difference between the
F2A85-M and the F2A85-M PRO is the Super I/O, according to the wiki[0].

A year ago, Alec Ari (CC-ed) submitted support for that Super I/O, his
code[1] was not merged and eventually, Matt DeVillier (CC-ed) added
support for that chip (but apparently missing early serial support).

I wonder if either Alec or Matt have the F2A85-M PRO in hands and
whether they did write code to support the board, as the wiki[0]
suggests. If so, it would be useful to send it as-is so that I could
have a base to add support for the board.

Otherwise, I will start "from scratch", using the F2A85-M code as a
base.

Note that I'm new to working on low-level on x86 hardware (but I'm used
to ARM hardware), so I may need some pointers here and there to get this
done properly.

Generally speaking, any help regarding that board is welcome!

Thanks!

[0]: http://www.coreboot.org/Board:asus/f2a85-m#F2A85_series_status
[1]: http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/4589/
[2]: http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/10232/

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: http://www.replicant.us/
Blog: http://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: http://redmine.replicant.us/