[coreboot] noob question

Johan S johanpsz at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 10 10:54:38 CET 2015

Hi there,
i m trying to understand few mechanism in coreboot can someone help ?
I grabbed the git tree , made crossgcc , made a biosfile tested succesfully within qemu.
In the menuconfig few options are quite confusing especially looking at the vgabios .
I choose the oldest qemu model for emulation , enabled the vgabios , kept the vesa framebuffer
did the edid patch to bypasse vbe mod multiple ...
but i can't get my splashscreen :-/

johan at debian:~/coreboot$ file build/coreboot.rom ^C
johan at debian:~/coreboot$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom print
coreboot.rom: 4096 kB, bootblocksize 928, romsize 4194304, offset 0x3c0000
alignment: 64 bytes, architecture: x86

Name                           Offset     Type         Size
bootsplash.jpg                 0x3c0000   bootsplash   50937
cmos_layout.bin                0x3cc740   cmos_layout  808
fallback/dsdt.aml              0x3ccac0   raw          4000
config                         0x3cdac0   raw          3459
revision                       0x3ce880   raw          569
(empty)                        0x3ceb00   null         5208
fallback/romstage              0x3cff80   stage        11468
fallback/ramstage              0x3d2cc0   stage        46007
fallback/payload               0x3de0c0   payload      55823
vgaroms/seavgabios.bin         0x3ebb40   raw          35840
(empty)                        0x3f4780   null         46232

I read somewhere that in vgabios i should be able to see :

under "VGA ROM ---> VGA Hardware Type" select "coreboot linear framebuffer"

Anyway i can get my os to boot , i can pass the F12 boot option , i can pass openfirmware but ...
i can't even understand why with all requirement in the biosfile i could't get 1024*768
jpeg displayed with vesa enabled ...
I 'm lost
Thanks

--