[coreboot] coreboot semi-harmless bug hangs build of cbfstool if you aren't careful

Danny Milosavljevic dannym at scratchpost.org
Fri Aug 7 21:44:57 CET 2015

Hello,

I've set up libreboot (and GuixSD) on a X200. I'm writing this from the
newly set up machine, so a lot worked already. Great!

However, now I want to switch Ctrl and Fn to have Ctrl to the left and
unfortunately the libreboot rom from the release on the libreboot
website used CONFIG_STATIC_OPTION_TABLE=y , which means I can't persist
the setting across reboots.

In order to find that out I had to somehow get the config options and
so after reading the docs I came across
  $ grep CONFIG_ x200_8mb/x200_8mb_ukqwerty_vesafb.rom
Binary file x200_8mb/x200_8mb_ukqwerty_vesafb.rom matches

which didn't work. But
  $ grep -a CONFIG_ x200_8mb/x200_8mb_ukqwerty_vesafb.rom |grep OPTION_
CONFIG_USE_OPTION_TABLE=y
CONFIG_STATIC_OPTION_TABLE=y
CONFIG_HAVE_OPTION_TABLE=y

did.

However, idwer mentioned a tool called "cbfstool" in coreboot which is
supposed to be the normal way to do that.

So I checked out coreboot from git, went into coreboot/util/cbfstool
and said

  $ make

/gnu/store/cpx9iibpdwi3wb81glpnnlxr9zra2iiv-bash-4.3.39/bin/bash: cc:
command not found

Which is a GuixSD problem I guess. But after some prodding

  $ make HOSTCC=gcc

lex  -t --header-file=fmd_scanner.h fmd_scanner.l >fmd_scanner.c
/gnu/store/cpx9iibpdwi3wb81glpnnlxr9zra2iiv-bash-4.3.39/bin/bash: lex:
command not found make: *** No rule to make target 'fmd_scanner.c',
needed by '.dependencies'.  Stop.

  $ ls -l fmd_scanner.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 dannym users 0 Aug  7 23:35 fmd_scanner.c

But then:

  $ make HOSTCC=gcc
(endless loop that uses very little CPU commences)

Also,

  $ make clean

doesn't get rid of fmd_scanner.c (which *does* exist) so it's difficult
to find the cause.

With kind regards,
   Danny