[coreboot] Dead links - missing information?

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Wed Aug 5 18:46:31 CET 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> wrote:

> On 07/29/2015 01:54 PM, Patrick Georgi wrote:
>

>> One server board that is for sale and can be equipped with coreboot would
>> be the ASUS KGPE-D16.
>>
> I looked at that - those are 5 years old now.. I would worry about the age
> of the capacitors.
>
> I'm no longer seeing any MB - desktop or server that are from the last 2
> years? And no one selling such systems?

Some are, yes, but they come and go and may require some searching.
Probably your best bet for a desktop is to get a Chromebox since that comes
pre-loaded with coreboot and the PCH and CPU are well-supported. Check out
the coreboot on Chromebooks community
<https://plus.google.com/communities/112479827373921524726?e=-RedirectToSandbox>
on G+ for some pointers on custom-built ROMs.

For servers, I think there are some vendors who sell with coreboot
pre-installed but only in volume. You might have better luck browsing the
sources for a particular chipset you're interested in, buying one and
replacing the vendor-provided firmware. The Asus KFSN4-DRE has been
actively worked on recently and tested, as you can see from the Supported
Motherboards <http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards> test
waterfall.

Also - I did some work with some UEFI BIOSs - I think there is an small OS
> running on top of everything?  (not something the lends itself to creating
> secure systems... ).

There's nothing "small" about it, but yes, your general statement is
accurate :-)

I had looked a few years ago and had the sense that there were rather
> current options - it appears that the climate has changed?  Or am I missing
> part of the bigger picture?

That's also pretty accurate. The momentum of coreboot development was
largely on servers a few years ago. Now it seems most (but not all) of the
work is geared toward mobile and embedded systems, a natural consequence of
many coreboot contributors shifting in that direction as well.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.