[coreboot] GRUB 2 isn't a great payload at all

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Apr 11 18:29:35 CEST 2015

FWIW, I dislike GRUB for several reasons; it does far too much to be
an improvement over a minimal payload and it does far too little te
be an improvement over a Linux payload.

It duplicates lots of work already exists in other places and it has
probably also duplicated some of the bugs.

Not to mention the reliability problems I have had with GRUB a long
time ago. A bootloader which spontaneously stops booting my system
does not get a second chance. Sorry, that's just a waste of time.

It could be argued that GRUB2 is not GRUB, but I don't think GRUB2
is an improvement.

Paul Menzel wrote:
> in my experience GRUB is a great payload and it makes sense to load
> it directly and let coreboot run the VGA Option ROM/Video BIOS.

I disagree strongly that it makes sense. coreboot doesn't provide a
BIOS environment and is thus not suitable for option ROM execution.
When it happens to work that is clearly a corner case.

Recommending a corner case (requiring discovery of details of each
option ROM) for the general case just is not good advice.

//Peter