[coreboot] GRUB 2 is a great payload!

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 6 23:22:18 CEST 2015

Dear Alexandru,

Am Montag, den 06.04.2015, 14:07 -0700 schrieb Alexandru Gagniuc:
> On Monday, April 06, 2015 10:46:32 PM Paul Menzel wrote:

> > > I never understood how grub2 can do less than seabios but be much larger.
> > > OK, you caught me! grub2 can read files off a disk.
> >
> > So I don’t know where this GRUB bashing
> Bashing? For noticing that GRUB is larger than SeaBIOS?

Then I misunderstood/misinterpreted: “… how grub2 can do less than
seabios …”.

> > Some more great features and modules:
> >
> > 1. GRUB gives you a command line interface. The time-out can be set to 0.
> > 2. Debugging with lspci, lsacpi, setpci, …
> > 3. Instrumentation with boottime, cacheinfo, …
> > 4. Show CBMEM console with `cbmemc`.
> > 5. Show CBMEM time stamps with `coreboot_boottime`.
> > 6. Support for coreboot systems with native graphics support.
>
> I know very well what GRUB2 is capable of.
>
> > And the cherry on top: If you don’t need a functionality, for example in
> > production after development, most of it is provided through modules.
>
> Sure. You can trim off some of the fat. If you know how to trim enough so that
> it's comparable in size to SeaBIOS, please let me know.

I will.

Please let me understand your point better. I don’t see, why that size
difference is a problem?

Do you have a system where a 200 kB GRUB payload doesn’t fit? Did you
measure any speed differences? (But as stated, SeaBIOS loads/starts GRUB
most of the time from the a storage medium.)

Thanks,

Paul