[coreboot] GRUB 2 is a great payload! (was: GRUB2 is too big as a payload in ThinkPad X201)

Charles Devereaux coreboot at guylhem.net
Mon Apr 6 22:57:36 CEST 2015

Hello

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Some more great features and modules:
>
> 1. GRUB gives you a command line interface. The time-out can be set to 0.
> 2. Debugging with lspci, lsacpi, setpci, …
> 3. Instrumentation with boottime, cacheinfo, …
> 4. Show CBMEM console with `cbmemc`.
> 5. Show CBMEM time stamps with `coreboot_boottime`.
> 6. Support for coreboot systems with native graphics support.

To which I would add:
 7. support for a menu, so that your most frequent options can be selected
with a few keys
 8. support for LUKS, so that you can protect your /boot

The only missing functionality is the lack of support for silent boot (set
timeout_style=hidden) to show the boot menu upon a keypress.

With native graphics support, I would love to be able to start FreeDOS, or
memtest with screen output. Someday with SeaBIOS maybe. In any case, grub2
is a must.

Charles