[coreboot] libpayload and LGPL code

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Sep 22 03:19:47 CEST 2014

Chauhan, Himanshu wrote:
> > > In that case would it make sense to put it in FILO which is GPL?
> >
> > Yes, I think that's a very good idea.
>
> But to my understanding, it would convert FILO from GPLv2 to GPLv3.
> Isn't it?

Adding a source file with a particular license does not automatically
affect the license of other source code.

But creating a work which includes some GPLv3 code does require all
other code to be compatible with that new GPLv3 code.

I notice that currently this is not the case for FILO, since the
license of other source files is GPL version 2 only.

You are correct that in order to include GPLv3 code into FILO, it
would be neccessary for copyright holders for existing files to agree
on changing the license of those files to one which permits combining
their work with GPLv3 code. The simplest change would be to change
from current "GPLv2 only" to "GPL v2 or later" - but I do not know if
all copyright holders would agree, and/or if it is something we want
to even attempt. Some copyright holders might not be involved in the
coreboot project anymore. :\

It can be possible to mix different licenses, but it does make things
more complicated.

The license issue aside, I think that FILO is a more natural place
for storage device drivers than libpayload. (Ron, here we go, drivers...)

Maybe it is easiest to use SeaBIOS to do what you want? :)

//Peter