[coreboot] ASUS F2A85-M questions

Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott pj at pehjota.net
Fri Oct 31 17:32:34 CET 2014

On 2014-10-31 10:56, Gregg Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> The rest of the group will chime in soon, but is the board currently
> running a known working distribution of Linux? Some released ones do
> not provide good toolchains for us.

I don't have the board, as I haven't yet decided to buy it.  But I'd run
Debian wheezy on it.  By toolchains, do you mean GCC and Binutils or
superiotool and flashrom?

> The other problem here is that we'll need to have you run such tools
> as are shown on the wiki. Please note that they need to be run at the
> prompt. One of them is the superio tool, and the other is the flashrom
> tool. The other one concerns itself with the tool to reading the
> contents of the PCI management registers. (It also tells us what
> components were used to glue the entire system together.)

Sure, I can run superiotool and flashrom, either from Debian or from Git
as needed.

> For example some examples shown are untested because the boards are
> wearing proprietary parts who were specially built for them. Intel is
> famous for doing that...
>
> Oh and regarding the ROM chip containing your system's commercial BIOS
> I suggest tracking down spares as you might need them. The other
> problem is how the part is fastened down on the board.
> I believe that covers it.

Yes, I have some W25Q80BVDAIG chips I planned to use with another board.
I know the board comes with a socketed W25Q64FVAIG, although I'm having
some trouble finding a distributor who carries that chip or equivalent
chips.  I assume the 80BV ones I have won't work, because they use a
slightly different supply voltage range?

--
Patrick "P. J." McDermott
  http://www.pehjota.net/