[coreboot] sourcing 128MB flash chips for an X60 with coreboot

Charles Devereaux coreboot at guylhem.net
Wed Oct 29 05:17:03 CET 2014

Hello

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Kyösti Mälkki <kyosti.malkki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For the i82801gx part in x60, I am not sure if it will support 16MB SPI
> parts as datasheet specifies decode registers for the top 8MB only.
>
> Or was there already a proof-of-concept it works?
>
> FWH_DEC_EN1—Firmware Hub Decode Enable Register.

Oops. you may be right. I just picked up 16 MB since it was the largest
size SPI would support. For the moment, I guess I will have to restrict the
images to 8MB

If adding this feature is technically possible, and  if you need a
development machine, I could put the spare 25Q128F on a motherboard, along
with wires to connect that to a Raspberry PI or other for the test. I do
have a spare motherboard. Let me know off list if you are interested. You
would just need a X60 AC adapter (I can include a barrel power connector
for the motherboard if you don't have one)

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles, this stuff you're doing is great. Tiny core Linux used to be
> a 6 MB .iso so I bet you can get by with 8M!

Thank you :-)

I plan to do speed tests for loading the kernel, and to have a minimal
"test system" ready. Having a rescue environment right in the flash could
be handy (like for when I make mistakes in the grub.cfg)
I've played with busybox and uclibc before, I know something very small is
possible.

But as you say a tiny core linux, PLD or other full-fledged rescue system
would be very cool :-)

Charles