[coreboot] Most Compatible Laptop and miniITX

corebootlaptop at yopmail.com corebootlaptop at yopmail.com
Fri Oct 24 09:59:29 CEST 2014

Which $300 to $500 laptop would be the topmost pick for CoreBoot
compatibility?

I need CoreBoot to Just Work as I cannot afford the risk or time for
development. So the unit needs solid reliable support. The laptop will
boot into Linux if you're wondering but I guess CoreBoot also does
Windows.

Can be new or slightly used. I'm happy to buy one or two generations
old. Yet it needs HDMI output to drive a second 27-in. screen (as either
(a) added pixel space, "Virtual Xdim Ydim" under X11, or (b) just as
primary monitor with laptop's screen off). So video might need to be
decent. I don't really care about the size of the laptop screen itself.

I prefer AMD and/or Radeon over Intel, but only found one such laptop on
the support list. The Pavilion m6 1035dx overheats say the reviews.

I'd like to buy off-the-shelf retail. I'd love a CoreBoot guru to scour
the offerings on retail websites (BestBuy, Walmart, the usual suspects).
But mail-order warehouse vendors (NewEgg, TigerDirect) are OK. The main
need is total CoreBoot compatibility.

As long as I'm here I may as well ask about miniITX too. If the laptop
is too problematic then that's another way I can go. What's the most
compatible miniITX on the market?

Thanks for everything, CoreBoot!

                          wherever you are