[coreboot] unable to build coreboot with grub

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Oct 12 11:43:25 CEST 2014

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> > 2. grub size issue as below that I am unable to resolve and looking for
> > your help. I am building for QEMU and using QEMU version 2.1.2.
> >
> > E: Could not add
> > [payloads/external/GRUB2/grub2/build/default_payload.elf, 268862 bytes
> > (262 KB)@0x0]; too big?
> > E: Failed to add
> > 'payloads/external/GRUB2/grub2/build/default_payload.elf' into ROM image.
>
> Increase ROM size.

If it is known that a particular payload option requires a minimum
ROM image size then coreboot configuration must ensure that an
invalid configuration is not possible.

That is not rocket science. Neither is implementing it. And it is
critical for coreboot not to look like a ridiculous toy.

It's like with correct whitespace in source code; a fundamental thing
to always get right, to maintain some kind of credibility for the code
and not waste time of those who might pass by and have an interest.

Why should we make code any worse than it can be?

//Peter