[coreboot] Suggested readings

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 16:18:22 CEST 2014

Hello!
Very good Peter. Prasnik, the summary that Peter gave is even better
then I could arrange for. But I will add to it anyway.

The part numbers covered in that book are largely the ones that the
Intel team behind the 8086 family were making and selling then. Its
been a generation in people years and an untold number of them in
computer years (times the machines have spent working for us) the part
numbers we have now reflect all of that.

And as to what you stated there Peter:
"
Yes and no. Quark is geared toward makers and hobbyists, seems to
basically be a 486 machine with some funky addons, and Intel has put
a fair bit of effort into documenting it well.

The "regular" x86 platforms are geared toward the Windows market, and
also used by the quickly emerging Chrome market. The Windows market
has, just like x86 machines, a not insignificant structural legacy,
and there is little to no useful documentation available unless you
are an ODM who will turn over millions and millions of devices per
year."

That goes along with what I just stated.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com