[coreboot] Lenovo N20p Chromebook

Aaron Durbin adurbin at chromium.org
Thu Oct 2 23:25:10 CEST 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM, John Lewis <jlewis at johnlewis.ie> wrote:
> [...]
>>    Type:                              EXEC (Executable file)
>>    Machine:                           Intel 80386
>>    Version:                           0x1
>>    Entry point address:               0xfffa0000
>>    Start of program headers:          52 (bytes into file)
>>    Start of section headers:          69848 (bytes into file)
>>    Flags:                             0x0
>>    Size of this header:               52 (bytes)
>>    Size of program headers:           32 (bytes)
>>    Number of program headers:         3
>>    Size of section headers:           40 (bytes)
>>    Number of section headers:         8
>>    Section header string table index: 7
>>
>> Section Headers:
>>    [Nr] Name              Type            Addr     Off    Size   ES Flg Lk
>> Inf Al
>>    [ 0]                   NULL            00000000 000000 000000 00      0
>> 0  0
>>    [ 1] .MRC              PROGBITS        fffa0000 001000 00dadc 00  AX  0
>> 0  4
>>    [ 2] .GUID             PROGBITS        fffadadc 00eadc 000318 00  WA  0
>> 0  4
>>    [ 3] .VARS             NOBITS          fe008000 001000 002e08 00  WA  0
>> 0  4
>>    [ 4] .STACK            NOBITS          fe00ae08 001000 0051f8 00  WA  0
>> 0  1
>>    [ 5] .rel.MRC          REL             00000000 00edf4 002110 08      0
>> 1  1
>>    [ 6] .rel.GUID         REL             00000000 010f04 0001a8 08      0
>> 2  1
>>    [ 7] .shstrtab         STRTAB          00000000 0110ac 00002b 00      0
>> 0  1
>> Key to Flags:
>>    W (write), A (alloc), X (execute), M (merge), S (strings)
>>    I (info), L (link order), G (group), T (TLS), E (exclude), x (unknown)
>>    O (extra OS processing required) o (OS specific), p (processor
>> specific)
>>
>> Program Headers:
>>    Type           Offset   VirtAddr   PhysAddr   FileSiz MemSiz  Flg Align
>>    LOAD           0x001000 0xfe008000 0xfe008000 0x00000 0x08000 RW
>> 0x1000
>>    LOAD           0x001000 0xfffa0000 0xfffa0000 0x0ddf4 0x0ddf4 RWE
>> 0x1000
>>    GNU_STACK      0x000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000 0x00000 RWE 0x4
>>
>>   Section to Segment mapping:
>>    Segment Sections...
>>     00     .VARS .STACK
>>     01     .MRC .GUID
>>     02
>>
>> The .MRC section is where the code lives (01 load segment). We want
>> that to live at 0xfffa0000 which is at offset 0x1000 into the elf
>> file. Therefore, we want this file to be added at 0xfffa0000 - 0x1000.
>>
>> You could manually move this or just 'cbfstool remove'  then 'cbfstool
>> add' with the appropriate address.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

> No worries at all. At least it's not had chance to gather too much dust
> upstairs. Don't you mean 4k back, as 0x1000 hex is 4096 bytes?

Yes.  I thought that's what I said with '0xfffa0000 - 0x1000', but I
didn't mention that is where we want it in the end.

> When I tried to add mrc.bin with a base address of 0x79efc0, it ended up at
> 0x79ef80. Using a base address of 0x79f000 got it in the right place, but
> there is still no output.

You need to account for the 0x40 bytes of cbfs metadata. 'cbfstool
print' shows offsets of files starting with their cbfs metadata -- not
the data they contain. It seems like you figured that out though.

> Just to make sure I hadn't got the wrong end of the stick, I edited
> src/soc/intel/baytrail/Makefile.inc, changed mrc.bin-position to 0xfff9f000,
> and built again. The mrc.bin ended up at 0x79efc0, but again still no
> output.

That should be correct.

(gdb) p/x -((8 << 20) - (0x79efc0 + 0x40))
$14 = 0xfff9f000

> The only discernible difference is that the power button now switches off
> immediately, instead of requiring a long press.

Well that tells me we booted far enough to get SMIs flowing in that a
power button press does an immediate S5 transition. It seems like we
could be in the payload somewhere (that or around MP init).

Do you know anyone who can solder? Tapping into the serial pins will
be really helpful.

-Aaron