[coreboot] board-status "binary"

John Lewis jlewis at johnlewis.ie
Sat Nov 22 17:28:37 CET 2014

On 22/11/14 15:55, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> On 22.11.2014 12:22, John Lewis wrote:

>>> Never send binaries to the list.
>>
>> A link could be just as malicious. What way should I do it?
>>
> A link would be fine. It wouldn't make everybody uninterested in this
> topic but subscribed to the list download 1M file.

I understand what you mean now - people perhaps stuck on low-bandwidth
links with expensive data plans.

>>> And about the idea: current code needs git tree. I tried to make changes
>>> to make it possible to have board-status without git tree.
>>>
>>> Result: those change were ignored, bikeshed or vetoed.
>>>
>>> Long story short: nobody cares.
>>
>> At some point Ron did care, otherwise we wouldn't have been talking
>> about it, and I certainly do. I can tell you anecdotally which
>> Chromebooks are being used and should remain live in the code-base
>> (hint: all of them) but I thought we were trying to be more scientific
>> about it than that.
>>
> Speaking is about where it usually stops. It's been very disappointing.
> Usual scenario is that we get lots of discussion to do sth, everybody is
> dissatisfied with current status and when I spend huge chunk of my
> personal time to fix it, nobody is there to even review the patches.
> That's understandable: otherwise what will we speak about next time if
> the issue is solved? Still it's disappointing and I have better things
> to do with my personal time than making patches nobody cares about.
> The top of rename stack is at 7185. It's automated test and Stefan
> agreed to it in principle in Prague, yet it's sitting there for already
> 3 weeks.

Okay, well the binary as is will upload stuff to the current
board-status repo, so maybe that's enough. I'm trying to encourage
people to use it. We'll see if we can get maybe a few hundred people to
upload something, given time.