[coreboot] programming a 2764

Felix Held felix-coreboot at felixheld.de
Wed Nov 12 03:42:05 CET 2014

Hi Ron!

> 1. Get a pin-compatible replacement for a 2764
A AT28C64B might be a replacement, but you still need a special
programmer; not a simple SPI one.

> 2.get a USB to parallel port adapter
Probably won't work; those things only work with printers and do not
support direct access to the pins.

> 3. get something more modern that will program a 2764
Probably more expensive than getting a PCI to parallel port card (for
software using direct access to the IO-ports, it must map the parallel
port as a IO-space BAR; I don't know if all cards do that) or getting a
cable for connecting the programmer to your mainboard. Plenty of current
desktop mainboards still have a parallel port on board as a pin header.
At least all µATX and ATX boards I own have one.

> 4. build a 2764 programmer from scratch
Probably not worth the effort. And it needs to be 5V tolerant.
If you switch to a AT28C64B, you could use an AVR (5V compatibility)
with enough pins (eg. DIP40) as quick and dirty built programmer, which
gets the data to write via its serial port.

TLDR: Try to find a mainboard with an on board parallel port; those will
work.

Regards
Felix