[coreboot] AMD's binary-only AGESA libraries

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 17:04:05 CET 2014

On 11/05/2014 11:50 AM, Bruce Griffith wrote:
> AMD has recently made a decision to supply AGESA as binary-only for future
> AGESA releases.  This decision seems to have caused some grief and
> disharmony within the coreboot community.  I would like to make a proposal
> that I hope satisfies everyone moving forward.
>

> First some history:
>

> The initial AMD releases to coreboot were not based on either AGESA or
> CIM-X.  Sometime after AMD started contributing AMD 64-bit processor
> support, someone realized that core libraries were available elsewhere in
> AMD to initialize the processor and chipset in a standard way (AGESA and
> CIMX).   Ultimately, that turned into the AGESA and CIM-X open-source
> postings in vendorcode.  AMD still develops AGESA for other (proprietary)
> purposes and relicenses and forks AGESA for new processors for coreboot.
>

> To get to an open-source AGESA, there were meetings and rules put in place
> within AMD with the intent that AMD would never lose proprietary license or
> ownership of the trunk AGESA or CIM-X codebases resulting from the
> contribution.  The principal rules are that:
>

> 1.       No modifications derived from open-source AGESA ever go back into
> AMD’s codebase.
>
> 2.       Open-source AGESA always derives from a processor-specific fork of
> AGESA that is reviewed and edited to remove any proprietary code,
> identifiers, or concepts.
>

> So AMD accepted that the process of releasing into open-source would be a
> very large and time-consuming task.   No matter how good the process, any
> automated pruning effort will depend on authors to add tags to code to
> identify what is proprietary and what is not.  Authors tend to make
> mistakes and therefore require review.  So they elected to keep it a manual
> process.
>

> Jumping ahead to 2013:
>

> AMD realized that the open-sourcing process they developed was awkward and
> required lots of developer and legal involvement.  The six month delay
> required to implement the “scrub” prevents AMD Embedded from capitalizing
> on the advertising and press excitement following the introduction of new
> parts. This delays commercial shipment of systems (and therefore chips)
> until well into the design cycle of the next processor.  Anyone that
> received early code was required to modify their application when the
> scrubbed code was eventually released.  And they were not allowed to
> release their product until after they incorporated the scrubbed code.

And the rule for the customer to _not_ release product until the
scrubbed code is available remains to be a rule that is dictated by
coreboot's GPL license.

Given that there is often a 3rdparty involved, say SAGE, who does
coreboot / AGESA integration work under a contract for an end customer,
it can be claimed the time of coreboot distribution happens already when
said customer receives a copy of coreboot firmware image to test on
their platform. And this may happen several months before the release of
product to public.

The choice of GPL over LGPL implies a promise to both commercial and
non-commercial contributors of coreboot codebase that hardware vendors
will need to make necessary files available, so that the customer can
rebuild and improve said coreboot firmware for the platform.

You have verified binaryPI uses (almost) exactly the same API as
open-source AGESA so far. This complex API between AGESA component and
coreboot does not fall under the mere aggregation terms of GPL, it is a
form of runtime linking. In other words the distribution of binaryPI
violates rights of every copyright holder in the coreboot sourcebase.
I am not fond of Google's MRC binary or Intel's FSP either, but their
implementation appears to be a single entry/exit with an array of
platform configuration data.

> Please remember that AMD’s primary goal in open-source AGESA is to enable
> new platforms to sell more chips.

Yes. And I understand AMD's and SAGE's urges and interest for the early
distribution in binary form. The major trouble here is the question has
turned from 'When to scrub AGESA' to 'If to scrub AGESA'.

The community needs to evaluate if infrastructure of said binaryPI
brings any added value for coreboot, when there is no promise or a
schedule for scrubbed AGESA sources. There has been empty promises in
the past when it comes to updates for AGESA vendorcode. The community
has to deal with what we see going on in the tree, as neither AMD AES or
SAGE are not so willing to discuss any of their plans with community.

More importantly, we have an absurd situation here. A claimed
compatibility with a source component we have not been promised to ever
receive is currently delaying and restricting development of code we
already have in the tree.

Personally, I would be willing to flex from the strict GPL terms here
for the benefit of the industry, AMD AES, SAGE and the hardware vendor.
That would require AMD AES to publish a schedule in which scrubbed AGESA
sources under BSD -style license are released, and a regular schedule of
bugfixes to previously released open-source AGESA.

My expectations on binaryPI are that it would be virtually impossible to
do any community ports of AMD platforms with it. Also concepts of
timestamping, USB debug and CBMEM console from romstage appear to be
impossible to achieve.

Existing code in the tree suggests even AMD AES and SAGE were not able
to implement ACPI S3 within the AGESA API for fam15tn and fam16kb, but
chose to bypass the API and link directly with a couple functions in
AGESA vendorcode proper.

> Binary PI was conceived with the sole intent of eliminating the delay
> caused by the scrub.  By donating AGESA as a binary instead of scrubbed
> open-source, coreboot becomes available much sooner in the lifecycle of a
> processor.  This is good for AMD and good for companies that want to use
> AMD’s chips.
>

> There are downsides:
>
> ·         The AGESA binary has to have a well-defined interface.  Normal
> mechanisms to work around interface deficiencies don’t work, so you have to
> work within the API.
>
> ·         Since the same BLOB is available to everyone, the API must be as
> flexible as possible to accommodate varying needs.
>
> ·         Because there is no scrub, the source must remain proprietary.
>
> ·         There is less flexibility because you can’t change AGESA to
> change when, where, or how initialization functions occur.
>
> ·         There may be a performance or size impact.  Binary PI currently
> runs exclusively from ROM and is not split between a ROM phase and a RAM
> phase.
>

> The current binary PI implementation requires an Application Programming
> Interface (API) to insulate the interface from future changes.  This is the
> same AGESA API that has been open-sourced for several processor
> generations.  The API uses processor-specific structures as arguments and
> therefore must be compiled using header files that accompany the AGESA
> library releases.  Note that this differs from an Application Binary
> Interface (ABI).  I have maintained API compatibility between open-source
> AGESA and binary PI.  This is for two purposes:
>
> 1.       To allow early reference platform development using an integrated
> AGESA.  The code is easier to debug when it is all contained within one
> binary.
>
> 2.       In the hopes that there will be future open-source AGESA
> contributions from AMD late in the design cycle of a processor, well after
> binary PI is released.

1. Can You explain SAGE's role in all of this?

2. As You write you (SAGE) "maintain open-source AGESA and binaryPI
compatibility", this must mean SAGE has early access to un-scrubbed
AGESA and the changes proposed to it? Would an early release of AGESA
sources affect negatively on SAGE's consultation revenue?

3. What is Your opinion on community ports for AMD platforms? How should
we debug or develop those in future? Or is the answer that we need to
consult with the commercial partner who have access to un-scrubbed AGESA
to debug as much as they wish / how much they are contracted for? I
assume here binaryPI is virtually impossible to debug for board
bring-up. I assume binaryPI is built with all debugging output to
console (aka IDS) disabled with no possibility to enable at runtime?

Regarding maintained API compatibility:

In my opinion maintaining an API involves a single set of header files
and a source base where bugfixes are backported to previously released
chipsets and CPU families. I can see that even within the two binaryPI
releases pushed to coreboot blobs.git, the header files are not the same.

> Proposal:
>

> There has been a request and changelist to split the AGESA wrappers:
>
> 1.       Slowly migrating open-source AGESA away from the published AGESA
> API for Llano (F12), Ontario (F14), Trinity (F15tn), Orochi (F15), and
> Kabini (F16kb).
>
> 2.       Creating new wrappers for binary PI-based processors, namely Bald
> Eagle (00630F01), and Steppe Eagle (00730F01).
>

> The same wrappers, or at least wrapper structure, are shared by all of
> these platforms today.  Note that the API is completely contained with the
> 3rdparty/pi and src/vendorcode/amd subtree.  Code in src/mainboard,
> src/northbridge, src/southbridge, and src/cpu is “wrapper code” and fair
> game for modification within the coreboot community.

Well.. not exactly the same wrappers. Same wrapper structure? Not
exactly that either, as fam15tn and fam16kb  ACPI S3 support adds
functions that do not exist for cimx/sb800 ACPI S3 implementation for fam14.

In the spirit of AGESA API, platform specifics would belong to
BiosCallOuts and no board-specific agesawrapper.c file should have ever
existed. But since board-specific agesawrapper.c files did exists,
someone though it was okay to modify those nevertheless.

> Instead of splitting the wrappers this way, I would propose forking
> open-source AGESA within the coreboot tree.  Let’s COPY the existing
> vendorcode/amd/agesa into another subtree, maybe soc or devices, and rename
> it OSIFA (open software interface for AMD) or something similar.  Move or
> clone experimenter boards over to OSIFA.
>

> Let’s leave commercial production boards alone (AMD, ASRock IMB-A180, some
> tyan, some supermicro, some HP, maybe a few more) using the existing
> src/…/agesa directories.  That leaves the interface stable for the boards
> AMD needs to demonstrate, allows AMD to continue donating AGESA with their
> existing interface,  yet still allows the community to improve on and
> reorganize OSIFA.

You are effectively saying that you do not want any of the improvements
that coreboot has gained from Chromebook development, to be available on
AMD reference designs? Is this the opinion of You as an individual, the
opinion of SAGE or that of the AMD Advanced Embedded Solutions division?

The approach I am suggesting brings improvements for all the AMD
platforms where open-source AGESA is available, yet leaving a stable
environment for those who are restricted to use of binaryPI.

Mind you, we are not even talking about modifying the AGESA API per se.
Let's dig into this deeper:

A pre-requirement to improve the coreboot experience for any AMD
platform is to get rid of the excessive copy-paste approach both AMD AES
and SAGE seems to be fond of. Some of this work has already been merged
(BiosCallOuts, GetBusConf). My work to have common (per family)
agesawrapper.c files is under review, and it seemed to have positive
feedback from You. All that work is currently on hold due this on-going
dispute on the separation of open-source and binaryPI trees.

To think further, understand that a requirement to use a common
agesawrapper.c file across fam12-fam16kb is for the vendorcode to
actually expose a common API. A common API does not involve forking the
header files for each family separately. The community has the
possibility to unify the function prototypes within the different
families of open-source AGESA API, should we find any.

The requirement to build binaryPI from a specific set of header files
from blobs/ justifies the move of binaryPI to a sandbox. The matter
around binaryPI is further complicated as the header files between
different binaryPI releases are not the same. I do not want to see all
the complications and #ifdefs this may introduce to affect the quality
of the open-source AGESA -based implementations.

If I choose to bypass some of the lop layers of AGESA API for better
performance on one platform, it does not mean I would need to remove
unused layers of AGESA API from vendorcode/.

Once/if binaryPI gets scrubbed, it should not be a big deal to import
the API header file changes from binaryPI release into the single set of
open-source AGESA API header files under vendorcode/. After all, you
claim a compatibility in binaryPI and open-source AGESA APIs.

> What do you think … ?

Missing signature at end. Does this mail reflect the opinions of You as
an individual developer, SAGE or the unanimous voice of SAGE and AMD
Advanced Embedded Solutions division?

Kind Regards,
   Kyösti Mälkki

* Cleaning up AMD platforms sources in coreboot since 2012 *