[coreboot] IMB-A180 Real Time Clock is 20-30% slow (coreboot only, not original AMI BIOS)

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Tue Nov 4 10:48:57 CET 2014

Hi Mark,

First, Linux rarely uses the real time clock - use the 'hwclock' tool to
query it repeatedly and compare that against your stop watch to figure out
if RTC is involved.

If it isn't: Linux keeps its own system clock which is only once
synchronized against RTC. I don't know off-hand what Linux uses to
determine time progression, but I know that it believes whatever is in the
ACPI about cpu frequency scaling. Maybe some values are off, and the CPU is
clocked lower in some modes than Linux thinks it is, or moving to higher
CPU clocks has no effect (I think I saw that on one board due to
insufficient ACPI data).
To my knowledge, the linux system clock can be fed from different sources -
so it's also possible that with AMI, ACPI (or similar tables) enable a
different set of clock sources than coreboot, showing different behaviour.
The kernel's log messages should tell you.

Patrick

Mark C. Mason via coreboot <coreboot at coreboot.org> schrieb am Tue Nov 04
2014 at 01:21:49: