[coreboot] What commits, pushed by inexperienced people, broke the tree in the last 2-3 years? (was: coreboot for the 21st century)

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 02:57:24 CET 2014

Paul, please ignore my top-posting. Could you please not hijack threads as
long and tedious as this one? Feel free to quote the comments you are
referring to, but make sure to scrub the in-reply-to field. It's getting
tedious to read this.

Oh, and probably a lot of people have muted this thread already. You won't
reach your intended audience.

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:34:19 AM Paul Menzel wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 22.03.2014, 19:44 +0200 schrieb Kyösti Mälkki:
> > Ron, would you be so kind and identify by commit hash some of these code
> > merges by "inexperienced guys" from last 2-3 years that "broke a bunch
> > of boards". I would like to see from gerrit history how these problems
> > were ultimately dealt with and hopefully we could all learn from the
> > mistakes that were made.
>
> I am interested in this too, as I heard this argument very often, but
> according to my memory the claim is not true.

Everybody makes commits which break boards. Sure, you'll be able to come up
with a few hashes that caused issues and were merged by less-experienced
people. If we look hard enough, we'll find the same is true of guru and god
devels as well. Things break. It's a natural part of the process.

(Just had a deja-vu when typing this. Did I say this before?)

Clumsifying the process because things occasionally break is not going to
unbreak those things, nor is it going to stop breakages in the future. We've
seen this with TSA, terrorist threats, and even coreboot. No matter how much
better the new process is compared to the previous, things still break.

Alex