[coreboot] Classification of blobs and respecting your freedom

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Wed Mar 26 20:25:33 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it's good and well written. I'd replace your 'panic levels' with 4
> simple classifications and leave it at that.

Yep, good write-up overall.

I never liked the "panic level" rating, or at least the numbers. It seems
rather arbitrary. As much as folks dislike binary MRC, for example, I
wouldn't even put it in the same ballpark as the management engine since
the ME is an always-on, persistent, non-ISA blob with similar access
capabilities. Scoring them one point apart at the top of a scale from 1 to
"9000+" seems to diminish those important distinctions.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.