[coreboot] [announce] coreboot for the 21st century

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Mon Mar 24 10:55:47 CET 2014

Am Montag, den 24.03.2014, 10:38 +0100 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> A question to the Git expert. Is there a way to model the requirements
> in a different repository structure, for example having a core coreboot
> repository and putting the chipset, Super IO and boards in separate
> repositories?
That's technically possible. It will also multiply the problems people
already have with one git submodule (3rdparty) by many, amplified by the
fact that these submodules are in no way optional.

> I think, the OpenEmbedded/Yocto project does something
> like this and they call it layers [1].
That's something completely different, which happens at the build system
layer.
It also builds on mostly independent units, while coreboot is quite an
integrated package.

> > Cleanup shall begin to remove all the cruft that we had around to get
> > those old boards working. Each mainboard in v4.1 will have a
> > supporter / owner. New mainboards are not admitted into V4.1 without a
> > supporter / owner.
>
> Where are these supporters/owners documented?
"MAINTAINERS"

> What requirements do they
> have to fulfill, which if not met cause the board removal?
"they break when useful design changes to the coreboot core are
implemented" (eg the "remove all cruft" part)

In this concrete situation, the "cruft" is a bit underspecified. I guess
it's about all the __ROMCC__ ifdefs and limits to romstages designed to
keep non-CAR boards alive.

> > If somebody in the community wants to keep a board / chipset alive in
> > the tree, they can re-import them by cleaning up the board to work with
> > the new, cruft free infrastructure.
>
> I agree that, people wanting to keep a board in the tree have to help
> supporting it by at least testing them in a timely manner.
Testing won't be enough.

Regards,
Patrick