[coreboot] [announce] coreboot for the 21st century

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 00:50:05 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM, mrnuke <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, March 22, 2014 03:56:46 AM Andrew Wu wrote:
> >> Yes, that is right. DMP/Vortex86EX has no MTRR. So it maybe a problem
> >> if without romcc. :(
> >
> > Is there any way whatsoever to temporarily use the cache as SRAM?
>
> when we did the first real CAR work MTRRs were not needed. I'm not
> sure if they would be on the vortex. We might want to test the very
> early CAR code and see how it goes. It's actually quite simple.
>
> Also, let's just take it a little easy here. These are proposals,
> nothing is ever perfect on first release, the world is not ending,
> Google is not showing up at coreboot.org in skimasks and unmarked
> uniforms ...
>
> I think a fork would harm everyone, and would be destructive of our
> common goals. Please remember that we are all trying to do the right
> thing, and our different situations give us different perspectives.
>
> Nobody is coming in here with bad motives. We're just trying to muddle
> our way through the many demands of different stakeholders now that
> coreboot, thanks to the efforts of some pretty dedicated people, has
> become a runaway success.

I've been thinking about it all day and it seems Vladimir is pretty much
spot on, "The proposition of gatekeepers would essentially kill community
effort."

Was Stefan's governance change discussed at any level before announcement?
Will he discuss it now?

Here's to hoping we can work together. I might be able to contribute to
that IOAPIC thorn you've got.

David