[coreboot] [RFT] Please test patch set intel/i945: Only write CID, PN and TCID once

Mono mono at posteo.de
Sun Mar 16 22:00:32 CET 2014

Thank you ron for your comments!

actually I was not aware the code I look at is more than 5 years old. You are absolutely right in that the patch was written after reading public ICH7 documentation and I do not know of any problem the current implementation causes. Moreover, I was not aware that the code might do something else than what one can know by reading the code and the public documentation. To be honest, if that was true, I would be disappointed, because I expected coreboot to be a possibility of getting away from private software and "you don't know what your machine does". However, I did debug the code by reading the write-once registers in question before and after the several write operations. The registers do not change their contents but due to the first write operation. By that I concluded the public documentation describes the chip's behavior correctly. After reading your comments about private documentation of course this conclusion might be wrong though.

At the moment I believe that applying the patch does no harm. At least this is my current knowledge by running it at the MacBook2,1 for a couple of hours. Switching forth and back between coreboot versions (back to safe ones) works. I do not know if this was true for other boards.

Who knows, it might(!) fix some 5 year old bug?

In case you were interessted, I uploaded the output of inteltool when running the macbook without the patch, that is by compiling [1] and by compiling the patch on top of [1]. Please see
5324 without patch 5387:
http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=2051
5324 plus patch 5387:
http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=2052