[coreboot] GSoC-2014 Project for Coreboot

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:46:53 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Naman Govil <namangov at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with the long term goal, but from the point of view of a project
> in GSoC, is'nt it better for me to implement the block device API first,
> and then in the course of time think about the generic device interface?

you should do what you think best. Block device APIs are a much-worked-on
problem, as are generic device interfaces. The special needs of firmware
make them tricky. I prefer generic because it's too easy to work out a
block device interface that won't fit into a generic framework -- that's
been done, frequently -- but a well designed generic framework will easily
accommodate a block device interface -- see Unix or Plan 9.

In other words, you can design a special case that makes doing a good
design of the general case almost impossible. That's been done too; see
UEFI.

ron