[coreboot] Friendly reminder: Please just send plain text messages to the list

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 18:49:45 CET 2014

On Monday, March 10, 2014 08:54:12 AM ron minnich wrote:
> I think what we need to do is make this thread continue until it has
> consumed more space then one month's worth of HTML.

I think we're still in the bikeshedding of original request stage.

First off, whining about usage of HTML because of one's mobile data plan:
I don't care what data plan you have. When you come to a public list, you
should be prepared to adapt to the needs of the community using that list, not
the other way around. If enough people in said community had 30 MB data plans,
and everybody only used mobile phones for emailing, then your request might
sound half-reasonable.

But seriously? 30 MB data plan? I didn't know they sell those anymore. I heard
those were common in the bronze age. I have to really shop around to get
anything less than 1GB. I admit, I just happen to have unlimited data
(remember, we're in the space age now).

I don't usually use a mobile connection to check my email, but when I do, it's
because I'm bored. Seriously, don't use your mobile plan for reading html
email if it's such a big issue for you. Remember, most people weren't even
born when the bronze age ended.

All in all, this request seems selfish, although based on a reasonable
premise. Sure, HTML email sucks, and if what one really wants to do is convey
information, then plaintext is the way to go.

> :-)

[evil face]

So, while I agree we don't really need HTML email for this list, it's a nice
way to piss off people every once in a while. It's fun. And it's fun to
sidetrack a thread whenever someone accidentally sends some HTML bits.

> ron

I'd normally take this out of my emails, but it's more bits of data. Yay!

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net> wrote:

> > > +1, Also my understanding.
> >
> > The trouble with invoking "common sense" is that what constitutes it isn't
> > universally agreed.

I measure common sense compliance as the inverse of the number of people I
piss off. It's always a relative measure, but a damn fine one.

> > --

More signatures!!!!

[sidetrack]
I've seen some really stupid signatures used on this list. My all-time
favorite is something along the lines of "To think outside the box you really
need to be intel inside". I have no idea how the guy using this thought this
might even remotely be an intelligent thing to say (notice I spelled
"intelligent" correctly, not "intel" which is a misspelling).

Second on the list are people leaving their contact information in their
signatures. Really? I have that in the "From:" field if I need to contact you.
Truth be told, I haven't not contacted you because I didn't know how to reach
you. You just aren't that likable.

Alex