[coreboot] setting smbios values from the OS

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko phcoder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 22:40:41 CEST 2014

On 20.06.2014 20:08, Patrick Georgi wrote:
> Am 20.06.2014 22:01, schrieb Rafael Vanoni:
>> Take serial number, for example. I'd like each different system that I
>> build to have its own serial number, and building coreboot for every
>> serial number doesn't scale.
> We have an .id section just below the 16bit entry point - that can
> (easily) be extended to host more fields, and our smbios table generator
> could fetch a number from there, overriding a compile time default.
>
> To start, see src/arch/x86/lib/id.inc. It's really two tables: one
> containing the offsets, one containing the data (strings are 0-terminated).
> Both tables need to be prepended with new fields, since we're in a
> top-aligned world here.

I think it's more sound to have a CBFS plain-text file with serial
numbers and other runtime configs. There is a fair number of board and
chipset-specific config that should be modifiable without recompilation
but are probably inappropriate for CMOS for various reasons as CMOS size
shortage or the need for persistance even across RTC power well failure
[aka bad clock battery] (think MAC address). having fixed indexes
doesn't scale.