[coreboot] Naming for identical chips with different model numbers due to different package variants

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 2 23:01:33 CEST 2014

Dear coreboot folks,

what is the proposed naming for devices, which are identical but come in
different package variants and therefore have different model numbers?

Case at hand are the Nuvoton NCT6776D and Nuvoton NCT6776F [1]. Quoting
Felix Held [2]:

        Superiotool reports the NCT6776D as a NCT6776F, since it has the
        same ID (and probably the same die inside). The only difference
        between the two chips is the package (NCT6776D: LQFP128,
        NCT6776F: QFP128). The D/F in the part number is not the version
        code or IC revision.

        Since the boards sitting on my desk all have the NCT6776D chip,
        I chose that suffix, but thought about dropping the suffix
        completely, but wasn't sure if that is the better alternative.

What do you suggest for putting into

        CHIP_NAME("NUVOTON NCT6776D Super I/O")

and for naming the variables and Kconfig options?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://review.coreboot.org/5450/
[2] http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5450/5/src/superio/nuvoton/nct6776d/superio.c