[coreboot] source of coreboot boot log for board-status database

Martin Roth martin.roth at se-eng.com
Fri Jul 4 04:30:32 CEST 2014

I've added a routine to grab the boot log for the board-status database
from a serial device.  I didn't realize at the time that it had already
been voted down on the mailing list - I was told that if I wanted this
to go in, I should appeal to the mailing list.

Please see the patch here:  http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/6094/

Since there are currently some platforms that do not yet support the
cbmem console, I would like to be able to grab the console from a serial
device on the host side.  I'm happy to mark it as coming from the serial
device, and note in the script that by preference the cbmem console log
should be used.  I am fully prepared to add text to the script
belittling anyone who has to fall back to such plebian measures or any
other punishments that are deemed to be required.

Other possible alternatives I see to having the script read the console
from a serial device:
1) Add a command line option to the board_status.sh script that allows
the user to point to a file already containing the console log.
2) Add a command line option to allow the console log to just be skipped
and upload the rest of the data without it.
3) Simply wait until the boards support cbmem console log and not push
anything about those platforms until that point.
4) Collect the data manually and push it into the repo without the
board_status.sh script being used.

My thought is that having the script grab the data from the serial port
is better than any of these options, but I'm sure there are other
possibilities that I've missed.

(Apologies if my tone offends anyone - I'm told that when I try to be
funny, it comes across as condecension.  I guess that's why I'm a
programmer and not a comedian.)  <-- my new tagline.

Martin