[coreboot] Remove GENERATE_ACPI_TABLES

mr.nuke.me at gmail.com mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 08:11:51 CET 2014

On Tuesday, January 07, 2014 03:57:22 AM Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> You misunderstood. I don't propose to remove HAVE_ACPI_TABLES.
> HAVE_ACPI_TABLES remains per-board characteristic.
> The only thing I remove is GENERATE_ACPI_TABLES which is user-visible
> option.
> This way presence of ACPI-tables is determined by board porter based on
> the need and availability of ACPI tables

Again, just because you can't find a use for that option does not mean it
should be removed.

> Right now we're at opposite end when you almost have to use genetic
> algorithm to find which configuration works.

That's exactly why we have board-status. If you are using anything other than
a pre-tested .config (and crossgcc), you are hacking, and that always comes
with its associated set of risks. The fact that the majority of users are
coreboot-impotent is not a reason to remove options.

Alex

P.S. Did I mention that linux has a billion times more options than we do?