[coreboot] Are any Chromebooks able to run fully libre?

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 00:43:02 CET 2014

On Thursday, January 02, 2014 11:28:14 PM Sam Kuper wrote:
> On the C7/C710 and Pavilion 14 as shipped, where are those microcode
> updates stored?

This [1] should help you extract a stock coreboot.rom that you can cbfstool
with. The rest is left as an exercise to the reader.
(Short answer: cpu_microcode_blob.bin in CBFS)

> > And
> > how exactly is a CPU different if the microcode update is patched in the
> > factory rather than uploaded at boot? It's the same microcode in the end.
>
> First of all, if some microcode is in the CPU from the factory rather
> [yada, yada, yada]

I don't care for any Stallmanian lecturing on how microcode updates work. I've
worked with them, I've written code to upload them, and I've seen firsthand how
their absence bricks a system. With the risk of sounding arrogant, that gives
me the credit to avoid your uninformed lecturing. You have the option in
coreboot to not include them. Period.

What I gather from your description is that you want is the CPU that works
best without microcode updates. Ask around, or test yourself. I don't think
many people have tested without microcode updates.

Alex

[1] http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-sandy-bridge/coreboot-vmx-hack