[coreboot] Researching the SMM mode

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Wed Feb 5 20:20:19 CET 2014

Am Mittwoch, den 05.02.2014, 11:44 -0700 schrieb David Hubbard:
> It is a no-frills approach to what the SMI handler must do,
Yes. We don't do crazy stuff like writing to flash from SMM.

> and does not include any extras (D_LOCK and D_OPEN are extras).
No. Locking down SMM would provide a trivial way to undermine system
integrity.

Look for D_LCK in src/southbridge/intel (various southbridges) to see
what we do in that regard. I think the handling on AMD and Via is
similar.

> Linux probably doesn't interact with the SMI handler at all.
We don't just support Linux, but also real operating systems.

Patrick