[coreboot] coreboot port for macbook2,1

Mono mono at posteo.de
Mon Feb 3 21:43:51 CET 2014

Hallo Vladimir, Peter and Stefan

thank you for your emails! You already helped me alot. I don't expect to successfully close this project in a fast run and I'm willing to learn a number of tools.

At the moment I am still collecting hardware informations about this computer. I dissembled it completely and documented the chip names of what I thought might be of interest. Please see http://macbook.donderklumpen.de/coreboot/ for what I got. My biggest concern is with the EC. It is a Renesas H8S/2116V. I read about this chip that it makes coreboot impossible on other machines, but I do not know whether this issue is machine specific, or if the chip definitely makes coreboot impossible for this macbook too. Could you comment on this? Also I do not know yet how I could verify whether the EC shares memory with the main system.

As for the ability of flashing the EPROM chip, I plan to test it in the near future (at first with an empty brand new chip, then with the soldered one). The EPROM is supported by flashrom and I plan to use a Beaglebone Black to be the programmer. (this page shows Beaglebone Black can flash a chip via SPI also flashrom is not used here: http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/746860-how-to-access-chips-over-the-spi-on-beaglebone-black ) I already learned how to use the Beaglebone Black to debug what coreboot outputs to the USB port on a Thinkpad X60. I assume this should work the same for the macbook (the debug port at the macbook seems to exist, but the factory BIOS does not write anything to it).

One more question: The macbook atm uses a 32bit EFI which when it was purchased booted a 32bit kernel, and today boots a 64bit linux-libre kernel. Would I need to expect any additional problems from the fact that it is not a traditional BIOS, but some EFI which is to be replaced? My optimistic wish is to replace that EFI with coreboot plus a 64bit GRUB2 payload (same as done on my Thinkpad X60). Or would the payload need to be kept at 32bit?

thanks again and
with best regards
Mono