[coreboot] rfkill equivalent on the X60 - first partial success

Charles Devereaux coreboot at guylhem.net
Mon Dec 8 19:17:07 CET 2014

Hello

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <
phcoder at gmail.com> wrote:

> > IIRC this is not the case on the X201 (a very nice machine, but coreboot
> > support may not be as good for the moment. However the ACPI tables look
> > more complete.)
> >
> Please provide problem descriptions when doubting the quality of my
> work. Otherwise you're empty-talking.

I did not mean that, I should have answered differently.

I meant what he wants to do is not possible on the X60, which is generally
regarded as the non-chromebook laptop with the best coreboot support. If he
really needs that functionality, the next best bet is the X201, a machine
with better specs, and promising coreboot support.

Based on http://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x201, I can say that the ACPI
tables look more complete since it can boot windows which is very touchy,
while the X60 can't.

To me, That indicate *high quality* work, as I am still exploring several
X60 issues.

But since I do not have a X201, I can not say how it compares to the X60 in
terms of coreboot support (you seem to have one, so please tell me. For
example, is native video init working? I could move to the X201 if it was
not so expansive :-)

PS: I read you did not test the modem. Unless it is a one of the few ALSA
supported modems like the 3054, it won't work The latest versions of
Coreboot have AZALIA support, which will initialise the codec for
snd-hda-intel. If you replace the modem by a ML 3054 (drop it replacement,
ex:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-F6E-Fax-Modem-w-Cable-ML3054-/380880135505?pt=US_Laptop_Modem_Cards)
it should work with slmodemd (ex:
https://freemor.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/getting-a-si3054-modem-working-on-hardy-heron/).