[coreboot] rfkill equivalent on the X60 - first partial success

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko phcoder at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 03:09:38 CET 2014

>     > To emulate rfkill functionality, just write directly to the ec, for ex
>     > to turn on wwan and wifi:
>     > ./ec_access -w 0x3a -v 0x60
>     >
>     Usecase?
>

> Example: I have a wwan card, but I mostly use it for GPS. I can save
> some power by turning it off without rebooting, while keeping wifi on with:
I'd like to see some real figures on power saved between idle wwan and
disabled wwan, I really doubt it's anything noticeable
> The hardware button is not safe enough : register 0x3A hasthe H/W
> Override bitto "enable to control wireless devices even if the global
> WAN disable switch is ON". Disabling the USB ports through the RCBA
> registers (nice idea!) would prevent such an override.
>
> Also, it would save more power on the wwan that the hardware button :
> the wwan module is not fully desactivated since it replies to AT commands
>
> Several persons do not fully trust a wwan module. Physically removing it
> is the solution suggested. Disabling the usb port would be a simpler
> solution for those than do not want to physically open their laptop yet
> do not trust the hardware button due to the override bit.

wwan module is powered unconditionally. So if you don't trust it -
remove it. Also none of disables discussed here is irreversible if
you're concerned about rogue software.
> It seems to have several usecase.
None of them looks valid