[coreboot] New board with unsupported cpu, chipset, and superIO

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 28 23:29:27 CEST 2014

Am 28.08.2014 23:16 schrieb Todd Weaver:
>>> If you NEED blob-free, you may need to go ARM.
>> We cannot easily (actually it would be quite impossible) to move from the Intel hardware at this point.
> Per the private messages, I am asking upstream if we can switch to AMD, is AMD in a state where we can attain (meaning it is possible (comparing that to Intel)) a binary free BIOS?

You can, but with chipsets/CPUs released in the last few months you may
be out of luck. Right now, it appears AMD does not see compelling enough
business reasons to publish the source code for the newest hardware
generations, but you may be able to get the source code for the blobs
under NDA.
That said, there are quite a few pieces of recent (and still in
production) AMD hardware which do have full coreboot support. Exceptions
from the blob-free guarantee are graphics firmware and USB3 firmware,
which are both not executed on the main CPU.

Depending on how big your order is (not just "enthusiasts all over the
world will surely buy it", but real money spent by your
company/organization), you might have some real leverage, even for
getting code published.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel