[coreboot] New board with unsupported cpu, chipset, and superIO

Paul Wilcox-Baker wilcoxbaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 18:59:01 CEST 2014

Dear Todd,

> It appears (from following the instructions) that I have a new board
> with unsupported cpu, chipset, and superIO.

> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core
> Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
> 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM86 Express LPC Controller (rev
> 05)

We are interested in a BIOS for the same processor family, but a different
PCH device.

> c) If there is any coreboot developers that would be willing to contract
> for hire to develop coreboot for this board?

There is a company, Sage Engineering that ports coreboot to various
processors.  We are probably going to use them.   See
http://www.se-eng.com or to ask a question use:
http://www.se-eng.com/contact/

>From what I have been able to find out you need some binary "secret sauce"
that comes from Intel.  This allows coreboot to do things like set up the
DRAM controller and video.  The problem is that Intel only lets a few
people have access to this code.

For instance, for one of the people who could get this code, they claim
the process is this simple:
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2014-July/078275.html

> It appears "If it is not supported by coreboot then you will have a lot
> of work in front of you."

This view, is based on not having the Intel code and writing your own code
to set up the DRAM controllers.  I imagine that it would be very difficult
to write code for modern DRAM controllers, you have to read the EEPROMs
on the DIMMs to determine the DRAM size and other characteristics, then
set up the controller to match.  Finally, DDR3 (used by this processor) has a
training phase to get data accesses aligned in time.  This might be implemented
in hardware, or you might have to write code to do it.  I don't know!

If you get a different story about this, I would love to hear it.

Thanks, Paul