[coreboot] Re : Re: AMD doesn't get it either in some ways?(the?bastards!!!)

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Sat Apr 5 13:45:33 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 10:41:18AM +0200, echelon at free.fr wrote:

> Naive question : Is it too late to find a remedy to that? Why?

This was mid 2007 til early 2009.

Have you seen any ATI documentation since then?
Have you seen anyone trying to write proper C display code for radeon hw
since then?
Have you seen anyone pry apart atombios code since then?

You're a bit late to this party.

> Can you elaborate further on this? I wasn't aware that Redhat has this
> kind of attitude..

So you missed the whole ATI freeing story, and the RadeonHD vs Radeon
mess that ensued?

As for some details:

A quick summary of the worst from the redhat side is:
http://libv.livejournal.com/26434.html under the header "More shouting"

Another quick summary of how the X.org community acted (in this case
mostly the work of a single person) but with references this time is at:
http://libv.livejournal.com/25325.html under the header "software
fascism".

While still in the middle of RadeonHD, and therefor still obliged to
work with "the other side", i talk about atombios and the attempts of
some ati employees to remarket its content as "Scripts":
http://libv.livejournal.com/15571.html It is worth reading the comments
as well there. I had seriously overstepped the line there, but looking
back, i should've done this earlier and much much louder, as the other
side knew no such boundaries (and then some).

I never did write a full sequence of events publically. I did a terse
one for SuSE internally in june 2008, as this was requested by the
"executive oversight" we had at that point gotten. It was excruciating
to write this as it ended up showing how we had been played by some ATI
employees, over and over again. The executive oversight discreetly ended
afterwards.

Luc Verhaegen.