[coreboot] New addendums to INTEL FSP family

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:38:20 CEST 2014

On Wednesday, April 02, 2014 08:41:10 AM ron minnich wrote:
> This license still looks problematical to me. Couple that with the
> fact that the Haswell MRC is still not generally available from Intel
> and I'm a bit concerned.
>
> If I build a coreboot image with FSP, am I allowed to put it on
> dropbox for others to try out? Not clear at all!
>
> And, "one backup copy"? Do the people who wrote this understand how
> things in this world work?
>
> This is progress, and Intel gets closer every time, but they're still
> not there in my view.

How is this progress? It's a much more terrible solution than MRC, much harder
to integrate, and the only step it really leaves us with control over is
resource allocation. Resource allocation is one of coreboot's strongest
points. It seems to me this is just an attempt to use coreboot's resource
allocator in a proprietary firmware. That is a clear attempt to circumvent the
wishes of the rightsholders to this project.

Nobody asked us how such binaries could best be incorporated. The currently
provided solution is so hard to integrate that reverse engineering is a viable
alternative.

Google did a reasonable job with mrc.bin. Not ideal, but vastly superior to
FSP. The last time we've had FSP support added to our tree, it was a mess. It
broke things across the tree. I'd like for that to not happen again.

> INTEL SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

Declined, thank you!

Alex