[coreboot] Issues getting ASUS F2A85-M to boot

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Tue Oct 29 17:56:06 CET 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 02:29:14PM -0000, Haywood-Evans Matthew wrote:
> I am presently looking at trying to get Coreboot up and running on an
> ASUS F2A85-M system. I am however running into some issues.
>
> Using a bus pirate and flashrom I first backed up the original bios,
> then erased the chip and restored the bios to ensure I had the basic
> read/write capability working and this all worked correctly.
>
> Then I proceeded to build a standard coreboot image using seabios as a
> payload (using an external VGA card), leaving all the settings as
> default apart from selecting the motherboard, upon writing this to the
> flash and rebooting the machine I had no output from the VGA adapter and
> nothing from the serial port.

How did you burn the image? With the bus pirate, or from the board itself?

If the latter, that would explain your problem; I've seen flashrom seemingly
do the right thing when reflashing coreboot over the proprietary bios, but
the board not boot. I didn't have time to investigate that at the time,
sadly.

Re-flashing with the bus pirate solved this for me. Note that you really
still need to power off the board entirely (and let it sit a few seconds to
allow the caps to drain) when switching between proprietary bios and
coreboot.

For me this port works out of the box with the default settings. If you like
I can send you a link to a known-good image that we use here, so that you can
verify your hardware is ok.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege             | CTO, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 25F774AB          | http://status.fsf.org/ward

         http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=859