[coreboot] Coreboot supports intel baytrail processor?

Stojsavljevic, Zoran zoran.stojsavljevic at intel.com
Fri Oct 25 09:58:35 CEST 2013

Hello Mario,

I am novice to Coreboot too. But. Not the first time learning experience, adds to the cause. I decided to "push" a bit Intel structures faster in time, contributing to Coreboot as Intel-er. ;-)

About Coreboot for BYT. If you'll wait a bit more, it'll come in the theatre near you. The present Coreboot from git is not adopted: [1]to FSPs; [2]to INTEL BYT boards; [3] No vbios for BYT.

[1] It is coming;
[2] if [1] completed, the [2] should be added ASAP;
[3] If [2] done, you need to add specific BYT vbios for VGA support in Coreboot snapshot you were using. I do know how to find vbios-es for Core, but not for ATOM. I've checked my Bayley Bay CRB with VLV2 stepping B0 in the lab, and here is what I am getting for VGA PCIe:
Bus 00, Device 02, Function 00 Display Controller VGA/8514 Controller
Vendor 0x8086, Device 0x0F31

So, what you need to do is to place BYT vbios (supposed to be 64K) in the directory src/.
CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN=y
CONFIG_VGA_BIOS=y
CONFIG_VGA_BIOS_ID="8086,0F31"
CONFIG_VGA_BIOS_FILE="./src/vbios.bin"

About "How to create a make menuconfig for the BYT FSP that not there is in the MAINBOARD VENDOR?" you need to do it by example (here is how it is done for IVB Emerald Lake 2):

[zoran at localhost emeraldlake2]$ pwd
/home/zoran/projects/coreboot/coreboot-v4.0-4709/src/mainboard/intel/emeraldlake2
[zoran at localhost emeraldlake2]$ cat Kconfig
if BOARD_INTEL_EMERALDLAKE2

config BOARD_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS # dummy
        def_bool y
        select ARCH_X86
        select CPU_INTEL_SOCKET_RPGA989
        select NORTHBRIDGE_INTEL_IVYBRIDGE
        select SOUTHBRIDGE_INTEL_C216
        select SUPERIO_SMSC_SIO1007
        select BOARD_ROMSIZE_KB_8192
        select HAVE_ACPI_TABLES
        select HAVE_OPTION_TABLE
        select HAVE_ACPI_RESUME
        select GFXUMA
        #select CHROMEOS

config MAINBOARD_DIR
        string
        default intel/emeraldlake2

config MAINBOARD_PART_NUMBER
        string
        default "EMERALD LAKE 2"

config MMCONF_BASE_ADDRESS
        hex
        default 0xf0000000

config IRQ_SLOT_COUNT
        int
        default 18

config MAX_CPUS
        int
        default 16

config VGA_BIOS_FILE
        string
        default "pci8086,0166.rom"

endif # BOARD_INTEL_EMERALDLAKE2
[zoran at localhost emeraldlake2]$

I'll find out about [1] and [2].

Stay tuned,
Zoran
_______
Most of The Time you should be "intel inside" to be capable to think "out of the box".