[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Thu Nov 21 09:05:44 CET 2013

On 20-11-13 19:27, Alex G. wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 08:57 AM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
>>>
>>> Did YOU ever do it?
>>>
>> I     haven't bought (nor used at home) a windows license in well over
>> 20? ... never. The only license I have is that came with my laptop,
>> which was supplied by Uni, which is their volume key. I've built my own
>> PC's for 20 years and when the day comes that I need to buy a new
>> laptop, which isn't a hand down, I will definitely do this. I have no
>> use nor desire for the license or the product.
>>
> In short, NO. Please don't speak out of body parts and without factual
> knowledge. More often than not, the manufacturer has offered to buy back
> the system, but outright refused to refund just the software. Closest I
> ever got was a $20 refund on a $400 laptop, but this was an attempt at
> stopping me from returning the whole device.
Luckily we have laws here in Europe that at least try to protect us from
that. In Italy Microsoft was even sued because of that.

Also consumer right organizations are fighting this as they also think
it should be illegal.

In any case, with a PC its not really an issue, if you homebuilt, with a
laptop it's a completely different story, and you can bet my bottom that
I will fight this if push comes to shove.

Oliver