[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 02:01:42 CET 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Alex G. <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/2013 03:45 PM, ron minnich wrote:
>>
>> I've tried before with some of those guys They're not going to help
>> because they are not designers. Below a fairly high level, they don't
>> know what's in their systems. Sure, it's a nice shiny skin. But all
>> the real work is done by the ODM.
>>
> Then what can be done?

Now I get to be the broken record. You buy systems from vendors that
have coreboot built in. If you believe in this idea, then you accept
that when you put coreboot first, as an early adopter, you don't get
everything you want. Or, you don't put coreboot first, and you buy
closed systems, and you're then still part of the problem, not part of
the solution. Nobody said it would be easy.

If we look back to the earliest days of Linux, you can see that people
felt strongly enough about running it that they bought systems that
could run Linux even when they were less than ideal. That's where we
are today with coreboot laptops. Maybe chromebooks are not all you
want, but if you value the openness, you accept the limitations, and
work toward the day when they will be all you want.

> Is Google's plan with the chromebooks to enter the laptop market, or are
> chromebooks meant to create a new market?

It's a new kind of market, I believe. What's great about chromebooks,
however, is they come with a jailbreak feature designed in and
documented which is enabled by holding down three keyboard keys.

ron